Package management

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Tue May 15 13:36:54 EDT 2007

Charlie Farinella <cfarinella at appropriatesolutions.com> writes:

>> That said, my option 3 didn't have that much detail and didn't make so
>> light of the potential library requirements a newer version may have,
>> because I didn't want to detail the Debian/APT commands here that are
>> useless to the CentOS installation at hand.
>> -N
>
> Just to be clear, my question only uses CentOS/Python as an example and is
> not the precise problem I want to solve.  I want to pick a
> distro/procedure and stick to it based on solving this kind of problem.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.  :-)

I have to second Neil's sentiment here.  This really sounds like a
"which distro is best?" question.

While what I detailed was for Debian-based distros, the idea of
rolling your own package and maintaining a local repository is
possible with *any* of them as far as I know.

Choosing a distro can be as complicated or as simple as you like.
Figure out what your requirements are, figure out how that intersects
with your comfort level and familiarity, and make a decision.

As far as installing different versions of a particular development
environment like python, as far as I know, all the major versions
allow you to install multiple versions in parallel:

I've got the following installed on my Debian system:

ii python2.1
ii python2.2
ii python2.3
ii python2.4

rpm-based systems have been able to this for forever as well, afaik.

--
Seeya,
Paul