Private in-house domain

Tech Writer TechWtr at handspun.com
Tue May 15 16:47:20 EDT 2007

I am trying to create a small domain within my house, strictly for the purpose of getting more familiar with setting up DNS and Sendmail.  Before any of my changes, I started with the following configuration:

  * Linksys router connected to my incoming cable internet line
  * The router uses DHCP to assign addresses in the range of 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.120
  * Nameservers assigned by DHCP are: 68.87.73.242 & 68.87.71.226

Since I wanted this to be a separate domain (different than the Linksys zone, and seen only in my house) I set it up to assign fixed addresses 10.25.1.10 thru 10.25.1.15.

I got all of the DNS files set up on my CentOS Linux system and restarted the named daemon.  At this point, I was able to use ping, dig and nslookup okay, and was still able to browse outside my house using Firefox.

HOWEVER...  At the time my DNS was first setup and working, I was still using the 192.168.1.130 address that coordianted with my Linksys router.  As soon as I changed my local IP address to 10.15.1.10 (in ifcfg-eth0 and /etc/hosts) I could no longer get to the outside world (couldn't get a valid nslookup response or browse the internet).

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be?  Is it possible that my routes or gateway need to be updated now that I've switched from a 192.168.1.n address to the 10.25.1.n address?   If so, what needs to be changed?

If anyone is ambitious enough to figure out what piece is missing, I've posted all of my configuration files on:
  http://www.handspun.com/review/

Edited files include:

  /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
  /var/named/chroot/var/named/MyLab.org.zone
  /var/named/chroot/var/named/1.25.10.rev-zone
  /etc/resolv.conf

Any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated!

Peg