A little Microsoft humor...

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Sat May 19 17:00:55 EDT 2007

On 5/19/07, Thomas Charron <twaffle at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/19/07, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:
> > over-subscribing them).  Overall, we consumers who have such
> > connections have really won out.  10 years ago that 256K connection
> > cost about $50/month.  Today, we have 1Mbps+ connections at about
> > $50/month!
>
>   And the people in the area of FiOS win the most.  Several friends
> have it, and up to 30 Mbps is perty.  :-)  Business connections with 5
> dedicated IPs even better.

I've got 15 Mbps FiOS and I'm going to drop down to 5 Mbps.  I mostly
download Linux & Solaris ISOs and software.  Most sites can only provide 170
k/s or so although the Ubuntu 7.04 torrent hit 1000 k/s or so and
Sun.comhit 1700 k/s.  I don't think I'll notice a big difference
because at this
point, it's the other end.

I think the bigger advantage with FiOS is 2 Mbps upload (at either 15 or 5
down).  I run Gaim remotely via an SSH tunnel often and it's not bad.  If I
did Flickr or Youtube uploads it'd be nice too.