Hey, How 'bout them Red-Hatters!

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed May 23 15:04:11 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 14:07:34 G.O. wrote:
> On 5/23/07, Ted Roche <tedroche at tedroche.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone got a clue what Red Hat is promoting with the "Global
> > Desktop?"
> >
> > Just when I thought we were going to see Fedora Core/Extras united, a
> > clear unified enterprise message out of Red Hat, they zig again.
>
>   No ziggin'. Core/Extras merge has happened, there won't be Fedora
> Core 7, there will be Fedora 7. See:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/CoreExtrasMerge
>
> About the Global Desktop, the link Patrick sent sums it up.

I'm not intimately familiar with the project just yet and none of this is me
speaking with my official Red Hat on, but I'm pretty sure at least one of the
guesses in that article is wrong. It surmises that RHGD will initially be
based on the 2.6.18 RHEL5 kernel. Not likely. The article already mentions
the reason why: KVM, which debuted in kernel 2.6.20, is a focal point of this
product. KVM isn't in the RHEL5 kernel. Granted, we *could* backport it, but
I'd lean toward RHGD starting out with a more Fedora-like kernel (i.e.,
2.6.21 or later). Oh, and pretty sure the desktop is going to be Gnome -- but
also quite possible it'll be a newer Gnome than RHEL5 (i.e., 2.18 or later).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com