Re: Notes from MerriLUG, 17-May-2007: Máirín Duffy on Graphics on Linux

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue May 29 22:01:58 EDT 2007

On 5/24/07, Ted Roche <tedroche at tedroche.com> wrote:
> Máirín Duffy presented "Graphics on Linux."  ... Several attendees
> mentioned afterwards how pleased they were to see someone _using_
> applications on Linux, rather than our usual shows of hacking Linux or
> doing geeky things like firewalls.

  I was one of said attendees, and I wanted to reiterate and expand
upon my response here.  I was tremendously impressed by Máirín's
presentation.  When I think of neat things on Linux, I usually think
of very techie stuff, like networks or programming languages or
desktop environments.  Even my interest in MythTV has been as much
about cool technical tricks and hardware as actually watching the
programs.

  So when I first saw the announcement for this meeting, my initial
reaction was ambivalent at best.  "Another art weenie drawing stuff.
Oh, well, let's see how far the GIMP has come."  Down in the IT
trenches, I sometimes loose sight of what's up above those trenches.
I was quickly reminded that the really interesting stuff usually isn't
found in a trench.

  My edification was as much about what people with do technology as
the technology itself.  Sure, GIMP and InkScape both appeared to be
powerful, useful tools.  But it also serves well to realize that an
artist is also a craftsman, who must know how to wield his or her
tools well.  Máirín demonstrated aptly that an "art weenie" needs to
be both a creative mind *and* an adept tool-user.  The fact that the
tools don't involve IP headers or RAID types makes their mastery no
less impressive.

  It was a refreshing case of tables turned, for me.  I'm used to
diving into the intricacies of computers and networks, while "the
users" stand back in blank disbelief that I can know exactly what to
do with my esoteric knowledge.  To see Máirín casually show how "easy"
it is to correct a photograph in the GIMP, or draw someone's face
using vector graphics in InkScape, left me feeling very humble indeed.
 She was the expert, and I could only sit and watch.

  It was also enlightening to hear someone speaking of Free/Open
principles as applied to things other than software for software's
sake.  From mundane things like icons and fonts, to art for art's
sake, there's a lot more to this than free software and music without
DRM.  This is about everything.  Linux is only the tip of the iceberg.

  To switch back to the pragmatic mode:

  InkScape looks like an extremely cool *and* useful tool.  I don't
know much about graphics, but I know vector (object-based) graphics
are the way to go, if you can.  InkScape looks like the drawing
program I've been looking for since GeoDraw.  Máirín commented that
she thinks in some ways, InkScape beats anything the payware
alternatives have.  I'm looking forward to trying this out on our
Windoze environment at work.

  Some bonus links:

  Open Clip Art Library (OCAL) - http://www.openclipart.org/ - Aims to
be a collection of Free/Open clipart, in SVG form.  Reportedly has
over 6500 images, many of them high quality.  Unfortunately, the
website is apparently suffering some kind of extended outage.

  Libre Graphics Meeting - http://www.libregraphicsmeeting.org/ - A
gathering of artists and other creative arts types, who use FOSS
tools, or produce Open Content.  While it's all greek to me, Máirín
was quite enthusiastic about the participation and potential of this.

  Elephants Dream - http://www.elephantsdream.org/ - "The world's
first open source movie."  A short film created using only FOSS tools,
and with all production files available under a Creative Commons
license.  While it's not "The Matrix", as a proof of concept, it's
positively dazzling.

  I'm glad I attended.  Bravo!

-- Ben