Shell tips and tricks

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Thu Nov 1 11:58:44 EDT 2007

On Thursday, Nov 1st 2007 at 11:50 -0000, quoth Ben Scott:

=>On 11/1/07, Steven W. Orr <steveo at syslang.net> wrote:
=>> FYI, bash does not have here-strings. perl does. python has something
=>> similar.
=>
=>  According to TFM, it does:
=>
=>http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html#SEC43

Sorry, They do have something that I wasn't thinking of.

echo Hello | grep Hello

can be replaced by

grep Hello <<< Hello

of course you could also have

foo=Hello
grep Hello <<< "$foo"

=>
=>  I still don't get the point of them, but it says it has them.  :)
=>
=>> Speaking of envvars and variable interpolation, here's something to add
=>> to your .bash_profile
=>>
=>> PS4='+${0##*/} line $LINENO: '
=>
=>  Wanna just tell us what that means?   :-)

Instead of running

script

if you want to debug it, then set PS4 and then run

bash -x script

Much more civilizeder.

steveo at syslang.net