Power supply monitoring in Linux?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 11:34:00 EST 2007

On 11/7/07, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:
> Is anyone aware of means to monitor power supplies under Linux?  I
> have systems which have dual-redundant power supplies and I'd like to
> monitor them for possible failures so I can send an alert, set a trap,
> etc.

  Like everyone else has been saying, this depends on the hardware.

  For example, Dell's stuff generally reports via IPMI and the BMC
(Baseboard Management Controller), so you can either use standard
Linux tools, or Dell's OpenManage(TM) does-everything suite.  There
are YUM and APT repositories of the Dell tools available; subscribe to
Dell's Linux mailing lists for details.

  For most of the "white box" hardware I've seen, the power supply
hardware has no intelligence and cannot be monitored.  You maybe get a
buzzer or a light.  (You could probably hack something in, but then
it's not white box hardware anymore, it's custom hardware.)

-- Ben