OLPC - Nov 12 launch

Dan Coutu coutu at snowy-owl.com
Thu Nov 8 07:32:18 EST 2007

Ted Roche wrote:
> Coleman Kane wrote:
>

>> I found the following one named Fit PC which manages to sport two
>> ethernet ports. It seems roughly similar in specs to koolu. The two
>> ports make it nice for a smart networking device.
>>
>> http://www.fit-pc.com/new/fit-pc/about-fit-pc.html
>>

> Very competitive: Fit v. Koolu: 256 Mb v. 512 Mb, 40 Gb HDD v. 80 Gb
> HDD. $285 USD v. $299 CAD. I wouldn't be surprised to find they were
> based on the same mobo, since they used identical CPUs and their sizes
> are quite close.
>
> Fit is listed as out of stock until December (they've been slashdotted
> -- hopefully that will pay for version 2.o!) while, last I checked,
> Koolu is in stock and shipping now. Both look like a really interesting
> form factor to work with.
>
> The second ethernet connector on the Fit is a good idea. One application
> I have need for is a low-traffic web and file transfer server. Expose
> one NIC to the internet and bind the other to in-house intranet for
> command-and-control... (yes, I know I can do this six other ways with
> DMZ or port forwarding or...)

I have a useful application for one of these mini-systems IF they have
the Remote Desktop software installed on them. (Yes, I'm assuming they
all run some kind of Linux, I know that the eee runs a form of Xandros).
They would provide a convenient front end for the tech naive employees
of a client to access their windows server that's running remote desktop
services.

Does anyone know if remote desktop is installed (or installable) on any
of these?

Dan