Ignition (was Re: tftp config problem (ltsp))

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Sat Nov 10 16:05:22 EST 2007

>> Did some research and found this sometimes occurs when the
>> speed of the server nic is so much faster then the client nic.
>> Apparently this showed up with the 2.6 kernel.
	[...]
> Could not find where I saw the original write up.  But it has to
> do with the NIC in the server box being 1G and the NIC in the test
> laptop being only 100MB.

I suspect that such mismatches are not the problem, because the
fact that *any* bits are flowing means that a whole bunch of
low-level plumbing is working properly.  In particular, it means
that the system(s) in question have autonegotiated (or maybe
been hard configured to operate at) compatible transmission
rates / duplexes at the PHY level.  Once that's all rigged up
I think you're unlikely to see errors due to overruns because
the protocols in question (DHCP, TFTP, etc) are designed to
prevent that, so it's rare except when one or more parties to
the conversation have b0rken implementations...