No FOSS drivers for Dell e521 / Nvidia MCP51 High Definition Audio

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Sat Nov 10 19:25:24 EST 2007

Hey, cool!  I just noticed that after suffering for months with
essentially no support for the integrated NVIDIA MCP51 audio on my
Dell e521, I can now use it in all the expected ways.  I haven't
tracked this bit of happiness down to the specific component that's
responsible but just FYI I'm running Debian "unstable" and for
years I've done this approx once a week pretty much automatically:

   apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade -u

...and I also periodically grab the latest ALSA distribution, which
on my machine is currently at 1.0.14rc2, so somewhere in either
the Debian stuff or the ALSA stuff somebody fixed something.  Yay!