A plague of daemons and the Unix Philosophy

mike ledoux mwl+gnhlug at alumni.unh.edu
Mon Nov 12 02:44:02 EST 2007

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 04:46:46PM -0500, Ben Scott wrote:
>   I did go looking for information.  What I found suggests the
> architects just don't get it, and are not interested in getting it.
>
>   Example: When PulseAudio (which also apparently depends on D-BUS)
> was made the default on Fedora, it was stated that people who didn't
> like sound servers should go back to hiding under their rock.
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2007-August/msg01196.html

Wow, talk about not getting it:

 "And test your application with PA!  Unfortunately, due to the
  heavy balkanization of Linux audio it is necessary to go through
  this list for each app seperately, and if necessary do some manual
  modifications to each seperately."

So, there is this problem with Linux audio, that there are too many
incompatable audio APIs.  We have this great solution, we'll create
a new one and try to convince everyone to switch to it!

Idiots.

--
mwl+gnhlug at alumni.unh.edu          OpenPGP KeyID 0x57C3430B
Holder of Past Knowledge           CS, O-