A plague of daemons and the Unix Philosophy

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon Nov 12 22:45:35 EST 2007

On Monday, Nov 12th 2007 at 15:21 -0000, quoth Bill McGonigle:

=>
=>On Nov 12, 2007, at 11:57, Coleman Kane wrote:
=>
=>> > deb files suck big green donkey
=>> > dicks.
=>> >
=>> Sounds like you're in a good position to put together that document ;).
=>
=>And he already has the killer title.  I bet I'd paypal the $3 PDF if I were in
=>that situation.

I suppose it'd be better to explain where that phrase comes from, since
the story is most of why I used it. Back in '79 or '80, I was getting my
masters at night at BU. At one point I was seated, using the facilities,
where I beheld one of the works of some (probably obscure) literature
scholar. His particular use of the above euphemism was directed at
possible proclivities of the then president of BU, John Silber. It struck
me as hilarious back then, and in this context seemed as appropriate. Back
then, I laughed so hard that I'm sure others using that bathroom had a
raised eyebrow.

steveo at syslang.net