Laptop Key Problem

Alex Hewitt hewitt_tech at comcast.net
Tue Nov 13 10:42:16 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 10:34 -0500, Ben Scott wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2007 10:15 AM, Tech Writer <TechWtr at handspun.com> wrote:
> > Is there some on-line location I get the MS-DOS diagnostics to put onto a
> > disk and see if there's something else I'm not seeing?
>
>   Oh.  Sorry, I forgot not everybody is going to have a bunch of
> floppies full of old software.  :-)
>
>   The idea here is to see what the hardware is doing (as close as one
> can without a logic probe).  We don't want the kernel or keyboard
> driver doing any interpretation.  The reason MS-DOS is suggested is
> that MS-DOS does almost nothing, so diagnostics have better access to
> the "bare metal".  Most of the stuff I have is restricted license.
> Um... anyone have any ideas?
>
> -- Ben

One decent diagnostic collection is something called "The Ultimate Boot
CD". It uses freeDOS as well as Linux for the base (during boot) but
then gives a wide selection of diagnostic tools (memory, hard drive,
etc.). Look at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com

-Alex

P.S. I didn't see keyboard diagnostics but that might not be the heart
of the problem and there are enough diagnostics here to check most
everything else...