Gmail and listid!

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 14:06:39 EST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 1:43 PM, Jeff Macdonald <macfisherman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is listid new, or was it something I missed?

  Many lists (including this one) embed a "List-Id" line in the
RFC-822 headers for filtering.  Note the dash.  Presumably, Google
maps the "listid:" thing to that header.

  When I went looking some time back, I found nothing documented by
Google about a "listid" filter, nor anything about arbitrary header
filtering/matching.  I tried to fudge something myself, and couldn't
get it to work.  I never tried typing in "listid:", of course.  I
eventually fell back to filtering on "To:" address.

  http://www.google.com/search?q=gmail%20listid finds that others have
discovered this, at least as far back as circa 2006.

  Given the lack of a formal revision history, and/or any access to
the source code (pause for laughter), we're unlikely to ever know for
sure when this feature was added.  The lack of documentation I can
verify today; still no match for "listid" in a Google Mail Help
search.

-- Ben