Gimme that old time interface...

Star nhstar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 00:30:06 EST 2007

Okay, so it sounded better with the Bob Seger riff playing in the back
of my head...

Anyway:  Lately, I realized that I was nothing short of bored with the
two major-player options for the desktop interface.  Sure, the
convienience of everything just working and gobs of very shiny
information flowing into the eyeballs at the speed of cpu has served
me well and brought me a long way into the past 5+ years of having
various flavors of Linux be my primary work/home/life desktop.

The problem is that it never felt quite like "home" to me...  A bit
last year I had an FVWM conversation and it got me thinking, but time
was never on my side for it...  Until this past weekend.  I finally
got fed up with my 3 year old laptop showing it's age (it's a p4 2.6g
with 2g of memory) and the *#$@*#$! panel freezing up on boot (there's
only so many times you can type "killall -9 gnome-panel without
starting to visualize blood).  So I cracked open the man-pages,
trudged through all of the forums that I could find (locating
thousands of links that are years out of date) and have a great
beginning on a working, functional desktop, and while plagiarized to
some extent, it's beginning to look pretty snappy...

My question here is this:  What are users here using if they shy away
from all of the main-stream (can that be said with Linux yet?)
desktops and go for that "One Off" style

I know Ben has his 'puter wired to Model 37 Teletype, 'cause that's
how Unix was meant to be run, Tom C is still working out the bugs in
his Neural Link a la Matrix.  Me?  I'm happy with my subtle gray
blends and 3d rendered wall-papers.

I know the benies to using KDE and Gnome, i'm wondering about the
multitude of users with Black/Whitebox with PERLed out menues and the
likes...

--
~ *