verizon DNS "helper"

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 20:27:55 EST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 5:22 PM, Rob Lembree <rob at jumpshift.com> wrote:
> Verizon recently (I think) ...

  Yup.  NANOG thread here:

http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg04321.html

  I suggest just running your own caching resolver (ISC BIND named,
tinydns, whatever) and bypassing the ISP's mess entirely.

On Nov 14, 2007 6:43 PM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> Next up they'll replace the SIT tones on a wrong-number dial with an
> ad for the latest wireless package.

  Some phone companies already do, or have attempted, things like
that.  My favorite was a story about one that replaced the ringing
signal you hear when calling out with advertisements.

> Phew, it's a private archive.

  I suspect you're being silly, but:

<list_admin>

  Postings to this list should NOT be considered private.  Anyone can
subscribe.  Traffic is archived by at least three major, public,
searchable third-party sites (Mail Archive, gmane, osdir), and may
also be archived and/or republished by any other subscriber.  This is
specified in the Terms of Service.  If you don't like this, don't
post.

http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/bin/view/Www/LegalNotice

  The only reason our self-hosted archives are require subscriber
authentication is that nobody has gotten around to putting better
defenses against address-harvesting in place.

</list_admin>

-- Ben