verizon DNS "helper"

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Thu Nov 15 07:42:32 EST 2007

On Wednesday 14 November 2007 23:40, Chip Marshall wrote:
> On November 14, 2007, Ben Scott sent me the following:
> >   I suggest just running your own caching resolver (ISC BIND named,
> > tinydns, whatever) and bypassing the ISP's mess entirely.
>
> Probably doable for now, but there's nothing stopping your ISP from
> intercepting all outgoing DNS traffic from end-user IPs and redirecting
> them to the ISP's recursive servers.
>
> Although, I don't really see any of the big ISPs caring enough to jump
> through those kinds of hoops just to stop people from avoiding a few
> ads. The majority of users wouldn't bother.

I've seen that happen before, especially on public networks.  I nearly always
run a local resolver, so that when I connect to VPNs at work, I can setup
domain forwarding for particular internal DNS servers for internal-only
domains lookups.  Sometimes I find though, that the queries out to the web
seem to come from the ISP regardless.
-N