Gimme that old time interface...

TARogue tom at tarogue.net
Thu Nov 15 09:30:15 EST 2007

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Ben Scott wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2007 10:27 AM, TARogue <tom at tarogue.net> wrote:
> > The problem with most of those is that they are FVWM2, which is nothing
> > at all like regular FVWM.
>
>   The config file syntax was heavily modified in FVWM version 2.x, no
> question.  For the better, I think, but it's certainly a pain to
> migrate a config one has carefully built over time.  But "nothing at
> all like" FVWM 1.x?  I have to beg to differ on that.

I couldn't even find the right places to put my file edits from 1.x to
2. It's been a while since I've tried, but it's not something I want to
take the time to try again.

> > I prefer the pager and GoodStuff icons of the older style.
>
>   It has been a long time for me, but it didn't seem that radically
> different.  And again, things can be customized to the point of
> absurdity in FVWM.  What couldn't you get to work the way you wanted?
>
>   Or do you just mean the default config file you were using wasn't to
> your liking?

It's been a while, so I can't recall the details. FVWM 1, I know where
to go to fix/edit to my liking in one quick session. In addition: the
defaul FVWM 1 isn't ugly. FVWM 2 is the opposite in all regards IME.

> > I had to restore my laptop to Fedora Core 3, since upgrading to 7
> > also upgraded FVWM to FVWM2.
>
>   ...?  I'm pretty sure FVWM 1.x still compiles on recent distros.

I had FVWM 1, it got "up"graded to 2.

--
TARogue (Linux user number 234357)
 Young men want to be faithful and are not; old men want to be faithless