[OT] Verizon/FairPoint sale (was: Comcast!?!?)

Michael Costolo michael.costolo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 15:00:48 EST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 2:38 PM, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2007 2:30 PM, Michael Costolo <michael.costolo at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I find myself asking why anyone cares if they want to leave since they
> > refuse to do business with so many of us.
>
>  That's my thinking, too.
>
>  My only concern is, what if FairPoint does turn into another Vitts?
> Financial meltdown could well disrupt POTS (Plain Old Telephone
> Service) across the region, too.  That would be worse.
>
>  But I can't think of much else.
>
> -- Ben

Would it be worse?

Couldn't some combination of wireless and VOIP make POTS
redundant/unnecessary?  Doesn't it already?

I noticed Verizon doesn't want to ditch its wireless service (a separate
company).  I'm assuming that Comcast serves the whole state and that their
VOIP services are available everywhere, but that could be a bad assumption.

I just wonder, if POTS went away tomorrow, what would that mean in terms of
its effect on residents and commercial businesses?  I think it wouldn't
affect me all that much because I have VOIP and cell phones.  But I think
other folks here probably have a lot more insight.

Anyone?