[OT] Verizon/FairPoint sale (was: Comcast!?!?)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Fri Nov 16 16:46:53 EST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007, at 11:13, Ed lawson wrote:

>> But everytime I hit a pothole and blow
>> out a strut I wish there was some competition in roads.
>
> Curious how there would be competition in roads.

Government (as local as possible) would contract out maintenance of
the roads to the most competitive business.  Market forces would
drive down the cost and improve the quality.  Ideally, in the case of
State roads, the states would blockgrant the funds to the towns the
roads' ran through so oversight of maintenance would be local.

> Regarding telcos, the one thing I seldom see discussed is the fact
> years ago they got a huge tax break premised on the promise to
> create a
> plant providing broadband that was as extensive as the existing copper
> plant.  They reaped the windfall, did not deliver their end of the
> bargain, and now they are..well we see don't we.  So the
> taxpayer/customer gets to pay twice?

Hey, it was only $200B of tax money:

   http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070810_002683.html

I wish I knew what _I_ could do about it.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/