[OT] Verizon/FairPoint sale (was: Comcast!?!?)

TARogue tom at tarogue.net
Fri Nov 16 22:14:49 EST 2007

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Bill McGonigle wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2007, at 11:13, Ed lawson wrote:
>
> >> But everytime I hit a pothole and blow
> >> out a strut I wish there was some competition in roads.
> >
> > Curious how there would be competition in roads.
>
> Government (as local as possible) would contract out maintenance of
> the roads to the most competitive business.  Market forces would
> drive down the cost and improve the quality.  Ideally, in the case of
> State roads, the states would blockgrant the funds to the towns the
> roads' ran through so oversight of maintenance would be local.

More likely scenario: Lowest big gets the job, and does the minimum to
fulfill the contract. Next year, when the potholes are back, and bigger,
repeat.

A *regulated* free-market, though an oxymoron, is the only defence for
the taxpayer against a "lowest-bid" government. I konw of many towns who
wanrt better schools, better roads, more public transport. As sonn as a
raise in taxes is proposed to cover the costs the townsfolk suddenly
decide the status quo is OK.

But that discussion belongs on another list.

--
TARogue (Linux user number 234357)
 When man calls an animal "vicious", he usually means that it will attempt