LinkedIn (...small GNHLUG logos)

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Sat Nov 17 13:10:23 EST 2007

On Saturday 17 November 2007 08:56, Ted Roche wrote:

> I'd like to set up a GNHLUG group on LinkedIn,...

    Are you sure you want to get involved with LinkedIn?  I have no
concrete information that the free come-on is just a front, but a
push-advertising marketer would make a very high value sales list by
cross-correlating the fields listed by linked professionals.  Have you
read the User Agreement?

"In the event of any inconsistency between the LinkedIn Privacy Policy
and this User Agreement, the User Agreement shall control."

"We reserve the right to modify this Agreement at any time, and without
prior notice, by posting amended terms on this website."

    This effectively means the Privacy Policy is not worth the bits to
send it.  As soon as LinkedIn gets enough names, they can infer
interests from the map plus the data supplied by registrants.  Both the
registrant and those that just link are vulnerable.  The User Policy
provisions allow them to sell the information to any spam engine they
please - including non-technical ones.

    Maybe I am old fashioned, but I don't like private companies (or
governments) profiling me.  A few IC ads via email can be trashed, but
it identifies me as a middle-class professional and, should times get
tough, people might get nasty.  The less information the world has
about me, the safer I feel.  How about you?

    There I go.  A paranoid over-reaction again.

Jim Kuzdrall