Why is sound so complicated?

sean tech.junk at verizon.net
Sat Nov 17 18:58:41 EST 2007

This may be obvious, but not to me.

Why does sound seem to be so complicated on Linux?
There seem to be so many pieces to get sound.
I have been thinking about this trying to get sound working on LTSP.

There is ALSA, OSS, Gnome and KDE have their needed daemons to work
properly among others. I think freedesktop is working on MAS.

Then other such things as ESD, GStreamer, Phonon, PulseAudio and
whatever else there might be skulking about.

Is anyone able to give me an idea why it seems so chaotic?
I believe in free choice, but this seems overkill and more of a major
headache.

				Just wondering,
				Sean