Stumbling block on road to going Linux-only, the dvdrw is very odd.

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Nov 19 14:57:18 EST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007, at 11:43, Bob King wrote:

> I had run Mint 3.1 and the previously mentioned Fedora 7 on this same
> platform, and they had no trouble with the drive.
>
> Any ideas on how I can get Mandriva.2008 to recoginize this drive
> correctly?

Not a Mandriva expert, but my guess is you're probably seeing the new
ATA subsystem in Fedora 7 and the old one in Mandriva 2008 (hence
the /dev/hd* designation).  They switched because the new one has a
lot less suck in it for most cases, so you might be able to force
(with a kernel flag?) the new one to be used on Mandriva, provided
the kernel supports it.  Failing that somebody probably has a guide
to updating to the latest kernel.org kernel on Mandriva you could
follow.

My assumption is not much else on Mandriva would break, so this would
be the path of least resistance, though reality may challenge my
assumption.

-Bill
-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/