Free Hardware

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Nov 20 20:42:30 EST 2007

I'm continuing to clean out my massive stockpile of aging and
currently unused hardware... This round, I've got 3 complete systems
up for grabs. They're oldies, but goodies:

1) IBM Netfinity 4000R. This is a 1U rack-mount box, full rack depth.
Dual-proc capable, but currently only has a single P3/600 in it. Also
decked out with 1.2GB of Reg ECC RAM, dual onboard e100 NICs, 2 PCI
slots (one w/an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card in it, one w/another NIC in
it), 9GB SCSI drive, slim CD-ROM. The box has Fedora 7 on it right
now, fully updated a few days ago to verify that everything was still
in working order and able to boot the latest kernel, etc.

2) Dell PowerEdge 2300. Beefy dual P3/600 server machine with 1.5GB
of Reg ECC RAM. Onboard SCSI controller is hooked to hot-swap
chassis, fully populated with 6 SCSI hard drives (4x18GB, 2x9GB, and
I have a spare 18GB in a tray to go with it). No onboard network, but
one of the 6 PCI slots has an e100 NIC in it. Onboard SCSI isn't
hardware RAID, but can be upgraded to such via an add-on card thingy
that can be found on eBay. Only caveat with this system is that I
don't have the front panel covers for the two 5.25 bays that are
currently empty (the drives formerly in those slots got pirated a
while ago). Like the IBM box, also has Fedora 7 on it, fully updated,
etc.

3) Generic 2U half-depth rack-mount (was actually an F5 load-balancer
at one point in time). P3/600 proc, 384MB RAM, 20GB ATA hard drive,
ATA CD-ROM drive, two 3com PCI NICs. Recently updated to Fedora 8,
everything works upon cursory inspection, etc.

Also available for the adventurous:

A 25-port (24 10/100, 1GBIC) CyberIQ Systems HyperFlow3 load-
balancer. I don't have a clue if this thing actually works or how. It
powers on and at the very least does function as a switch (albeit a
fairly large and loud one). There's a serial console port on the
thing too. Somewhere or other, I found some windows-based software
for talking to this thing, but I never got around to poking at it. A
quick google search says this thing is running VxWorks under the
covers. This seems to be one of the manuals for it: http://
cliffbrooks.com/Samples/Smart_Agent.pdf and this seems to be some
other potentially useful info: http://www.lundman.net/hyper.html .

All items available for pickup in Tyngsboro or Westford...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com