[OT] Simple math considered physics; turns out it's fun, not harmful

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Fri Nov 23 09:08:03 EST 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 11:03 PM, Greg Rundlett <greg.rundlett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Philosophically and sociologically, I'm asking why somebody who worked
> there wouldn't solve these problems out of curiosity.  Because they
> don't know how?  Because they don't care?  Because they were
> conditioned by social norms to believe the subject is too difficult or
> uncool?

I went to an engineering college.  Most of my classmates would probably take
a stab at the problem.  Many of my IT colleagues might  also.  The
facilities guys, the administrative assistants, the cafeteria staff, etc
would probably not.

Most people are not "problem solvers" and it's a personality thing.  I bet
most of us on this list took things apart as kids to see how they worked.
That's what this physics problem is: taking it apart to see how it
works/compares.  Most people don't do that.