New Edisons? Was: [OT] Simple math considered physics

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Sat Nov 24 20:56:16 EST 2007

On Friday 23 November 2007 23:56, Ben Scott wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2007 9:47 PM, Ric Werme <ewerme at comcast.net> wrote:
> >  No More Edisons?
>
>   I find sweet irony in the tone of this essay, given that it was
> re-posted in a forum whose nominal focus is an operating system
> created by an upstart college kid.  :-)

    Good counterpoint!  Considering that ideas and concepts are of more
lasting value than material "inventions", a future vantage point may
see Linus' contribution as more important than Edison's inventions.

    Try this on for an idea:  Linus' lasting contribution may be
the concept of collaborative, open technical development using the Web
or some other egalitarian communication medium.

    Linus seemed to realize: 1) people willingly contribute work when
the result will benefit all equally; 2) the Web can find the interested
and capable people from a worldwide pool.

    I will go on a limb and predict that this will be a model for many
significant developments in the future - and certainly not at all
restricted to the Linux operating system or software.

Jim Kuzdrall