[OT] Simple math considered physics

Jeffry Smith jsmith at alum.mit.edu
Sun Nov 25 14:49:44 EST 2007

On 11/24/07, Jon 'maddog' Hall <maddog at li.org> wrote:

> That book (unfortunately) has been out of print for many, many years,
> but here is another book along the same lines that I would recommend:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/American-Boys-Handy-Book-Nonpareil/dp/0879234490/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product
>
> a reprint of Dan Beard's book: "The American Boy's Handy Book: What to
> Do and How to Do It"  While Lord Baden-Powell was the originator of Boy
> Scouts, Dan Beard was the movement's heart.

Not quite - Dan Beard was heavily involved in the BSA (Boy Scouts of
America) development, but most of the UK Scouting (the original home
of scouting) was based on Lord Robert Baden-Powell's "Scouting for
Boys" - which was a version of his original "Aids to Scouting" written
for the British Army, written after he saw youth in Britain using
"Aids to Scouting", and tested in 1907 by Lord Baden-Powell at
Brownsea Island as he developed the original Scouting program.  This
original work did include ideas from Ernest Thompson Seton, Dan Beard,
and others, so in that respect Mr. Beard had influence on the Scouting
Movement as a whole.

Later, when W.D. Boyce discovered scouting and brought it to the US,
Dan Beard & Ernest Seton were key leaders in the movement.
(http://www.boyscoutstuff.com/text.html) .