cat pipe. Was: Sony audio (MSV), and LAME is lame

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Thu Oct 4 10:08:46 EDT 2007

On Wednesday, Oct 3rd 2007 at 23:06 -0000, quoth Shawn K. O'Shea:

=>cat inputfile | lame -r -m m -b 24 -s 22.05 -- > output

I see this all the time and for the life of me I just don't get it.

Why oh why do people say things like

cat file | lame

when they can just say

lame < file

?

No seperate process, no pipe, less load on the computer, less setup, less
entropy, the universe lasts longer, the needless destruction of electrons
is averted...

steveo at syslang.net