Shell tips and tricks (was: cat pipe)

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Sat Oct 6 10:03:38 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 17:13 -0400, Ben Scott wrote:
>   Do others here have additional shell tips and tricks?  You know, the
> kind of thing that you don't see others using much, so you remain
> unaware of it, then when you discover it, you find it very useful, and
> keep thinking about how much other people should be using it.  :)

I would certainly benefit from spending a week sitting next to someone
who knew what they were doing and had the time to explain.

We do have a book in the library: Shell Scripting Recipes by Chris F. A.
Johnson.  I just scanned through it.  The flavor appears to be a bit
like "Software Tools" without the end product of a new language.  There
is an extensive collection of scripts which build on each other to
expand their domain of use.  My quick reaction is that you'd be better
off coding these up in Perl, Python, Ruby or the like.  There is not
much shell theory in the book.  (pipe and redirection are not in the
index and my quick scan did not turn up any discussion, though they are
used in examples.)

Bill Stearns gave a DLSLUG presentation "100 ways to run your
program" (I think that was the title) with a 61 page handout (courtesy
of SANS) that was great.  The talk was full of shell tips and tricks.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp