Shell tips and tricks (was: cat pipe)

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 12:27:58 EDT 2007

On 10/7/07, Steven W. Orr <steveo at syslang.net> wrote:
>>      cat <(foo Fred) <(foo Wilma) <(foo Pebbles) | grep ERROR
>>
>> (Note that I'm also using cat to concatenate.  Wonder of wonders.)
>
> Yeah, Wonder of Wonders.
>
> grep ERROR <(foo Fred) <(foo Wilma) <(foo Pebbles)

  Okay, another bad example.  That's what I get for trying to bring a
proper filter command into things.  Say instead "baz" was a lame
post-processor which only accepted a single input file.  Then the
following should work, yes?

	baz <( cat <(foo Fred) <(foo Wilma) <(foo Pebbles) )

  (That is somewhat contrived, but I've encountered endless lame
software before, with endless ways to be lame, so it's not completely
implausible.)

> I got a million of 'em ;-)

  So keep going!  I'm trying to encourage the sharing of information, here.  :)

-- Ben