HA MySQL Setups

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Tue Oct 9 11:16:09 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 09 October 2007 10:43, Flaherty, Patrick wrote:
> I think I've settled on the DRBD method. Using a network block device
> and failing back and forth using heartbeat and a floating ip, though log
> shipping seems pretty straightforward.
>
> Does anyone have any positive or negative feedback on any of the
> methods?

I think I'd do something between the DRBD method and the replication method.
I'm not overly familiar with DRBD, but I suspect that it will hamper the
performance of MySQL for larger, more complicated queries if it doesn't have
local storage to work from.  And it's an extra variable too.

I'd configure the replication method, with a floating IP.  You can have
one "write" server replicating all changes to another server, and have all
read activity coming from the slave.  If the slave goes down, you failover
(via heartbeat) that IP to the master.  If the master goes down, you failover
that IP to the slave.  In either circumstance, you can have the remaining
server take over being the read and write server.  You would want to ensure
(especially in the second case) that servers coming back to life don't just
join back into the heartbeat without some administrator intervention, but I
think I would want that to be the case anyway.
-N