Linux routing fun

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 15:20:40 EDT 2007

On 10/9/07, Thomas Charron <twaffle at gmail.com> wrote:
> +                apr_socket_bind(*newsock, conf->bind_addr) != APR_SUCCESS) {

  Right, I did RTFS.  But it looks like that is done in the context of
a "worker".  For example:

+        if (worker->bind_addr != NULL &&
+                apr_socket_bind(newsock, worker->bind_addr) != APR_SUCCESS) {

  I don't what a "worker" is, but it doesn't sound like the same thing
as a "virtual host" to me.  It sounds more like a worker thread.  And
worker threads are not, as far as I know, specific to any given
virtual host.  So that would imply it's a global option, and the code
is just setting up the binding for each worker process (for when that
process is spawned).

  I could be way off base here, of course, but do you know what a
"worker" is?  Or have you uses this in the manner described, and so
can say from experience it works this way?  (Arguably the better
situation anyway, since nothing beats practical experience of the
"Yes, I've done this, and it works" variety.)

>  It's configuration is local to the definition, so if in a
> VirtualHost, it will use a different one for each VirtualHost.

  What part of the code distinguishes a global option for an option
which can be used inside a VirtualHost?

  As I said, I'm not at all familiar with Apache internals, but
unexplained proclamations aren't changing that.  :-)

-- Ben