Different inetds under Debian

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Wed Oct 10 15:10:01 EDT 2007

Is anyone here familiar with the differences between the different
inetd packages under Debian?  I've inherited a system which currently
has openbsd-inetd installed.  This is but one of many, many
differences between this machine and everything else in our network.
Everything else uses netkit-inetd.

The problem I'm trying to track down has to do with something which is
invoked via inetd, and I've discovered this particular difference.
I'm not convinced it *is* the problem, but I'm not convinced it's not
either.

According to apt, openbsd-inetd is:

   a port of the OpenBSD daemon with some debian-specific features.
   This package does not have many bugs of netkit-inetd.

It's phrase "debian-specific features" and "many of the bugs of
netkit-inetd" I'm kinda focused on here :)

For all I know, I've been relying upon one of those many bugs in
netkit-inetd for quite a while, or, some new debian-specific feature
is now causing me problems!

--
Seeya,
Paul