Best live CD (DVD) distribution

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 10 15:23:18 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 10 October 2007 02:50:48 pm Brian Chabot wrote:
> Karl wrote:
> > I would like to
> > try Linux on this laptop before I blow Vista away or make it a dual boot
> > machine.  What live CD (DVD) distribution would you recommend.
>
> That's very much a matter of taste.
>
> Most current users are siding with Gnome vs KDE or Apt vs rpm.

Pardon the rant, but... Its NOT apt vs. rpm. They are *different things*. One
is an automatic dependency resolver and package installer, another is a
package format. The two can be used in concert, as has been the case for
years. Its perfectly possible to 'apt-get install foo' on an rpm-based system
and have apt download and install rpm packages, complete with solved
dependencies.

Its apt vs. yum vs. whatever else or dpkg vs. rpm vs. whatever else.

> >   I am
> > leaning towards Knopix.
>
> As it is a laptop, I presume you're looking for mostly desktop
> functionality, as opposed to server...
>
> My own personal preference is for Mandriva One.

Just downloaded the latest Mandriva One earlier today to give it a spin
myself... That, along with openSUSE 10.3 and the latest Ubuntu gusty. Only
got around to poking openSUSE so far, and aiiieeeeee, I'd not wish it upon
anyone... I have higher hopes for the others. But anyway.

> Others will, no doubt also suggest Ubuntu.

Hey, we do live CD's too... ("we" being Fedora). We've also got a fancy set of
tools[*] to let you easily scribble a live CD/DVD iso onto a USB key to make
a live USB stick. I've got one on my keychain, another on my desk and yet
another in my laptop bag. :)

> The great thing about live Cd's is that you aren't installing
> anything... you can play with several before making a commitment.
>
> >  Also, whatever live distribution I try, what
> > would you recommend for a dual boot setup.  Using the live version for
> > the dual boot would seem to make sense since at that point the hardware
> > compatibility will have been established.
>
> Both Mandriva One and Ubuntu have the option to begin an install from
> the Live CD desktop.  That makes things very easy.

Same with Fedora.

[*] okay, its pretty much just a shell script that knows how to wedge a live
iso's contents properly onto a usb stick and make it bootable, but it works a
treat.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com