OT: Quantum Books closing...

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Oct 10 16:24:37 EDT 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 16:15, Paul Lussier wrote:

> She also mentioned that O'Reilly seems rather ambivalent with respect
> to brick'n'mortar book stores, whereas publishers like APress, Addison
> Wessely, etc. are doing a much better job.

There's that, and that Tim O'Reilly is competing with her directly.
If I were her I wouldn't be excited too push his books.

I have to profess a respect for books' content yet.  I had to look up
some stuff on a PIX a few minutes ago, so I reached for my PIX book.
My alternatives are Googling and getting Cisco's obtuse
documentation, finding some barely relevant information on Experts
Exchange, and seven dozen conflicting bits of advice from mailing
list conversations.  Linux information tends to be easier to find
online, so some of this is domain-specific.

Also, O'Reilly's Safari engages in page cloaking towards the search
engines.  I half-expect that the Google people are looking at my
complaints saying, "I don't get it, I see the content there, not an
advertisement for Safari..."  They're wasting my time, so I'm even
less likely to support them.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/