MonadLUG Notes, 12-Oct-1007: Ben Scott presents DNS and BIND

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Sun Oct 14 20:07:45 EDT 2007

A great meeting Thursday night. Thirteen people made it to the October
meeting of the Monadnock Area Linux User Group, held as usual at the SAU
#1 offices in Peterborough on the second Thursday at 7 PM. Thanks to Ken
for sponsoring us at the offices, and dealing diplomatically with the
double-booking of the space.

Ben had a little trouble finding the place, after a long, long drive
from Dover. We forgot to mention in the driving directions which of the
dozens of "Use other door" doors the meeting was held behind, so Ben had
to find the Boy Scout meeting and the girls volleyball practices before
finding us. Charlie promised to update the directions.

Nonplussed by all of this, Ben gave a great presentation on DNS,
reprising his pervious presentations. He'd replaced the MagicPoint
presentation with S5, and had a few technical issues with getting it to
behave, but persevered. I expect we'll see an update to the slides on:

http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/bin/view/Www/PresentDNS

But the other files there (bind configuration files, sample inside and
external zone files, etc.) should be relevant.

Ben gave a great overview of the Domain Name System and how it works
from several client OSes, how the trail of DNS queries is processed, the
structure of zone files, the structure of the BIND configuration files,
and many of the common misconfigurations that lead to errors or just
quiet failures.

It was a meeting well worth attending. Thanks to Ben for efforts above
and beyond, to Charlie for hosting and managing the meeting, and to Ken
and the SAU#1 offices for providing the facilities.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC