MySQL backups

Matt Brodeur mbrodeur at NextTime.com
Mon Oct 15 17:25:31 EDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 05:09:02PM -0400, Ben Scott wrote:

> One is to have the database server do a dump/export/whatever to disk
> file(s) before the backup runs, and then just backup those files.
> Essentially a two-stage backup.  Not sophisticated, but often
> reliable.

This is what I do.  It's slow and painful, but almost 100% reliable.
My backup files are compressed raw SQL, so they can be greped, seded,
perled, and restored anywhere.

There's another option, if you have the right filesystem.  You lock
the database, take a filesystem level snapshot, unlock the DB, then
back up the snapshot.  That's supposed to work for Linux LVM2 and
several of the commercial NAS/SAN offerings.  On some systems you only
need to lock the DB for a few seconds.

--
Matt Brodeur                                                     RHCE
MBrodeur at NextTime.com                         http://www.nexttime.com