MySQL backups

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Mon Oct 15 17:47:02 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 16:44 -0400, Thomas Charron wrote:
> Has anyone had experience with using CA backup solutions backing up
> CVS and MySQL data repositories?
NO (but why should that stop me).

>   It really concerns me that our Sysadmins are planning to do this, as
> they don't want to take down the MySQL or CVS servers while they do a
> backup.
>
>   MySQL file locking, and the integrity of the CVS backup are two
> issues that I just don't see how a strait file based backup can work
> on this server.

(addressing MySQL)
You're right.  Feed the output from sqldump into your backup.  mysqldump
will flush and lock each database as the database is backed up, but does
not, by default, protect consistency between databases.  If that's a
concern, an LVM snapshot (or equivalent) might be better.  The output
from sqldump is a file of SQL commands to recreate the database(s).
That's sometimes more useful than simply backing up the server files
directly.  It also compresses well and works OK when fed into rdiff.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp