List header cancer (was: Lawsuits, Red Hat, yummy....)

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Fri Oct 19 10:46:41 EDT 2007

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:54:41 -0400
Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2007, at 14:20, Chris wrote:
>
> > What is actually wrong with having the Reply To: as the list, after
> > all, that is where the message came from.
>
> Messages are delivered by the list, but they come from a person.  So,
> people expect replies to go to the person.  This expectation can lead
> to really embarrassing situations when people expect to send a
> private reply.

I've been running listservs for over 15 years and we've had many
discussions on whether to set the reply-to to the list or to the
message poster. In most cases, it is considered a better practice not
to set the reply-to to the list. One reason is that you don't want
private replies to go back to the list. If the intent is to reply to
the list, then change the address. I have my email client set up that
if I reply from a listserv folder, such as gnhlug, it will insert
gnhlug-discuss at mail.gnhlug.org into the to: header.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group