Brother, can you spare a couple of SCSI SCA disks?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 16:17:07 EDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> wrote:
> The only place I'd seen SCA is on Sun boxes

  Yah, we pee cee weenies have SCA too.  ;-)

> Needs to be rack mounted then.

  "Needs" is a strong word, but MV Communications has been generously
hosting us for free, and the fact that it only takes up 1U in their
racks is, I'm sure, making that easier for them to do.

  Remember, in many datacenters, the most expensive commodity is
space.  Not power, not bandwidth, but the physical space the machine
takes up.

> I've used the following which might be acceptable for GNHLUG or not ...

  Well, the non-zero price tag and larger than 1U size might be an
issue.  It's not that I've got anything against SATA, but we've got
certain limitations due to what we're working with here.  The world is
not your living room.  :-)

  If somebody wants to donate sweet new 1U server with dual 500 GB
SATA disks, that's fine too.... ;-)

> SATA is inherently hot plug.

  But the drives won't be, without a hot plug backplane.  (How you
gonna hook up those cables if the drives are stuffed into a 1U pizza
box chassis with no room to spare?)

-- Ben