MonadLUG Notes, 12-Oct-1007: Ben Scott presents DNS and BIND

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Wed Oct 24 09:45:04 EDT 2007

Ben Scott wrote:
> On 10/14/07, Ted Roche <tedroche at tedroche.com> wrote:
>> He'd replaced the MagicPoint presentation with S5, and had a few
>> technical issues with getting it to behave, but persevered.
>
>   This turned out to mostly be the alternate theme I picked, which
> apparently is buggy.  Switching back to the stock S5 theme fixed most
> of my problems (after I got home).
>
>   I then went in and tweaked the stock S5 files to fix my other
> problems.  I removed the image that was colliding with my technical
> text (the original reason I switched themes).  I also modified the
> JavaScript to *not* advance on mouse-click, so I can use the mouse to
> highlight things during the presentation.  Isn't open source
> wonderful?  :-)
>
>   I also took the opportunity to tweak the content.  Every time I give
> this presentation, I learn of things I could improve, and make
> changes.  Sometimes, the changes even turn out to be improvements.
> ;-)
>
>   Finally, I have uploaded the changed/improved slides to the GNHLUG
> web site (the "2007" file):
>
>> http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/bin/view/Www/PresentDNS

I took a look at the slides, because I know you had some troubles with
the way the layout looked and behaved, and I felt bad for recommending
S5 if it gave you so much trouble, and I think I found the source of
some of those problems: the main slide file has to be XHTML 1.0 Strict,
which is really, really finicky about how things work. Tags have to be
lower-case, all opened tags have to be closed, etc. Not too bad if your
writing a system to generate code, but a pain in the neck in a situation
like this where you're likely to write the file by hand in a text editor
(or porting it from MagicPoint file format)

So, instead of:

<ul>
<li>List item one
<ul>
<li>Sub list item one
<li>Sub list item one
</ul>
<li>List item two
</ul>

You have to have:

<ul>
<li>List item one
<ul>
<li>Sub list item one</li>
<li>Sub list item one</li>
</ul></li> <!-- Note that this closes List Item One above, making the
second list subsidiary to the first list item -->
<li>List item two</li>
</ul>

(I *think* I got this right...) It's a pain in the neck to get code this
way, and I use http://validator.w3.org to tell my when I've finally
dotted every I and crossed every T, er, t.

I did a quick run-though of the HTML file you supplied, and posted an
update to the board. You may find it displays a little better. Hope this
helps you the next time you give the presentation.

Charlie, when are you going to have Ben back for Part II? I'm looking
forward to it!

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC