MonadLUG Notes, 12-Oct-1007: Ben Scott presents DNS and BIND

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Wed Oct 24 12:23:30 EDT 2007

Kent Johnson wrote:

> ??

Sorry, ramblings of an old PowerPoint junkie. I once paid a lot of money
to attend a conference taken over by M$ who subjected us to a day of
"Death by PowerPoint" on a new application that was so unstable the only
way they could demo it was in PowerPoint.

"Death by PowerPoint" yields over a half-million hits on the Internet,
which proves nothing these days. But Edward R. Tufte's essay on "The
Cognitive Style of PowerPoint," (which I can leap up from my desk and
lay my hands on instantly) is a must-read for everyone who wants to
understand how to convey information.

I also had the privilege of attending an Edward R. Tufte seminar where
he reviewed the problem with "thinking in slides" and showed how the
lack of good analytical skills was responsible for the destruction of
the Challenger and the loss of lives. It was moving. Don't miss the
chance to see him if you can.

His essay then goes on to show the same fuzzy thinking, including
PowerPoint slides, that lead to the Columbia disaster. That was criminal.

So, sadly, Powerpoint kills.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC