Woot! OOXML nogo!

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Wed Sep 5 20:33:32 EDT 2007

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 13:11:53 -0400
"Greg Rundlett" <greg.rundlett at gmail.com> wrote:

> The process isn't over.
>
> Next meeting is in February.
>
> "The objective of the meeting will be to review and seek consensus on
> possible modifications to the document in light of the comments
> received along with the votes. If the proposed modifications are such
> that national bodies then wish to withdraw their negative votes, and
> the above acceptance criteria are then met, the standard may proceed
> to publication."
>
> http://www.iso.org/iso/pressrelease.htm?refid=Ref1070
>
> (disclaimer: These are facts, not opinions or positions of me nor
> my employer)

To include one more paragraph from the press release:

  "The objective of the meeting will be to review and seek consensus on
  possible modifications to the document in light of the comments
  received along with the votes. If the proposed modifications are such
  that national bodies then wish to withdraw their negative votes, and
  the above acceptance criteria are then met, the standard may proceed
  to publication.

  Otherwise, the proposal will have failed and this fast-track procedure
  will be terminated. This would not preclude subsequent re-submission
  under the normal ISO/IEC standards development rules."

Thus, the current effort (the fast-track procedure, which is what
Microsoft was attempting) can indeed *fail*, and be discarded, in
February.

Whether that would make it "over" is, yes, another question...  yet
after pulling out all the stops(*) Microsoft cannot be pleased that
its "standard" isn't approved now.

-Bill

(*) all the stops: such as "helping" the SC34 subcommittee grow
    from 23 members to 48, most since April.  Check Andy Updegrove's
    illumination at

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070831072521575

Over?  No.