fedora 7 on laptop no longer burns CDs or DVDs

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Tue Sep 11 15:22:37 EDT 2007

I recently upgraded my laptop from fedora 6 to fedora 7.  Now I've
discovered I can no longer burn CDs or DVDs.  I have an old CD-R burner,
so this is not critical yet, but I will need to get this figured out.
The drive is identified below in the wodim output, but is a fairly
typical IDE combo drive.  As I recall, it was /dev/hdb with fedora 6.
Now with fedora 7 the drives get scsi style names.

Besides the output from wodim (a typical run is pasted below) there are
also syslog messages like:

Sep 11 00:09:35 laptop kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!

which seems like a media problem, but happens for all of the media that
I've tried.

My assumption is that the laptop cut some corner with the drive setup so
that there are errors which got ignored or went undetected in fedora 6.
Booting the fedora live CD into RAM made no difference so it should not
be some peculiarity of my software configuration.  Booting from Knoppix
ties up the drive so that I can't burn.

I'll be trying to boot from USB with an alternative distro (Knoppix?
PuppyOS?) to prove the hardware works, but thought it would be worth
soliciting advice.

(Google has not helped as entirely too many people have burn problems.)

(I ran this as root just in case that mattered)

wodim dev=/dev/scd0 driveropts=burnfree,noforcespeed -dao  -immed OpenCD-07.09.iso
Error trying to open /dev/scd0 exclusively (Device or resource busy)... retrying in 1 second.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'TOSHIBA '
Identification : 'CD/DVDW SDR6572M'
Revision       : 'TU04'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R96R
Blocks total: 359849 Blocks current: 359849 Blocks remaining: 128952
Speed set to 706 KB/s
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed   4.0 in real SAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write i   0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Performing OPC...
Sending CUE sheet...
Writing pregap for track 1 at -150
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01:   26 of  450 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  95%] |318 1000ms|   4.0x.Errno: 5 (Input/output error), write_g1 scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 35 A5 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 72 0B 00 00 00 00 00 0E 09 0C 00 00 00 02 00 00
Sense Key: 0x0 No Additional Sense, Segment 11
Sense Code: 0x00 Qual 0x02 (end-of-partition/medium detected) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 205.840s timeout 200s

write track data: error after 28125184 bytes
wodim: A write error occured.
wodim: Please properly read the error message above.
Writing  time:  296.935s
Average write speed  10.4x.
Min drive buffer fill was 95%
Fixating...
Fixating time:    0.002s
wodim: fifo had 507 puts and 444 gets.
wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 221 times full, min fill was 87%.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp