[semi-OT] Review: Comcast Workplace cable Internet

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Sep 13 01:15:17 EDT 2007

On Sep 10, 2007, at 16:48, Bruce Dawson wrote:

> I seem to remember somewhere that Comcast's "available" meant you
> get a
> signal. This is generally possible if the wire is unbroken between the
> last pole and your building entrance. However, this does not guarantee
> signal quality - which is what matters here.

Right, and as I understand it, a cable signal is sufficient - if
they're not connected to the Internet at the time, you don't have an
outage as long as your modem can talk to your pole.

> Comcast's standard answer seems to be "about $30,000" for any place
> that's remotely rural and doesn't have comcast already on the
> poles. You
> really need to get them to come out and do a "survey" of your
> location.

Up here they quoted double that.  Good to know about the site survey
- we just balked at $60K and built our own network instead....

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/