sendmail masquerading question

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Sun Sep 16 16:00:31 EDT 2007

On Sep 13, 2007, at 16:40, Ben Scott wrote:

>  So that may not be doing what you want, because it leaves $w
> set to whatever it used to be set to, and you seem to be implying your
> system's hostname is somehow bogus for purposes of Sendmail.

Right, in this case Sendmail needs to HELO with a valid hostname to
get past my spamtrap (aside: not revealing your internal hostnames is
probably a worthy goal, spam not considered).   Ideally, the
masquerading stuff would do this at a certain level
(masquerade_envelope, perhaps?), but for now anyway you have to
convince it that its FQDN is different to get the desired behavior.

Postfix used to make you set 'myhostname=' just like sendmail does
with Dj, but now offers 'smtp_helo_name=' to make the specific HELO/
EHLO case available without overriding the FQDN for other cases.
It's a common enough problem with NAT, so maybe sendmail has such an
option I just didn't find.

   http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_helo_name

-Bill

-----