XEN - unbind/bind a PCI device

Tech Writer TechWtr at handspun.com
Tue Sep 25 08:46:28 EDT 2007

I'm trying to test some examples in a Xen course.  All has gone well so far, but my very last example is to unbind a PCI device (in this case, the sound card) from its driver, and bind it to the PCI backend so that it can be used by one of the virtual machines.

My training materials, along with on-line examples, suggest to do it as follows:

Example - Unbind a device from its driver and bind to the PCI Backend.
    # # Unbind a PCI network card from its network driver
# echo -n 0000:05:02.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/3c905/unbind
# # And now bind it to the PCI Backend
# echo -n 0000:05:02.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/new_slot
# echo -n 0000:05:02.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/bind

    Note that the "-n" option in the example is important as it causes
    echo to not output a new-line.

The driver for my sound card is located in /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ENS1371 and the slot is 0000:00:0b.0 so my first command should be:
       echo -n 0000:00:0b.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ENS1371/unbind

However, each time I enter this command, it just hangs, and the prompt never returns.  I found a similar problem at http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-05/msg00960.html but this issue got no reply there.  Everyone else seems to have no trouble with this command.

Any ideas?

Peg