XEN - unbind/bind a PCI device

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 21:25:59 EDT 2007

On 9/25/07, Tech Writer <TechWtr at handspun.com> wrote:
> It turns out that the echo to another PCI device unbind worked, and an attempt to
> echo my sound card using the wrong slot number failed.  So, it looks like there's
> something goofy with this unbind file.

  I know next-to-nothing about Xen, but I'm guessing something is
still using the sound card, and the system won't let you unbind
something which is in use.

  As Patrick Flaherty suggested, try unloading the kernel module(s)
which contain the driver for your sound card.  I'm guessing that would
be:

	rmmod ens1371

  If that works, then try the echo command.

  If you get back "Device or resource busy", then the driver can't
unload because it is in use.  Look for programs that use sound and
which might be holding a sound device open.  Sound servers in
particular (artsd, esd, jackd).

-- Ben