The Silent Woman

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Wed Apr 2 10:29:56 EDT 2008

    My wife's computer can receive email, but it can't send it.  Having
a woman who could listen but not speak seemed to have some advantages
at first.  Don't try it.  Very, very bad idea.

    I reinstalled SuSE 9.3 after replacing the hard drive.  The install
included a "home" level firewall using YaST2.  Everything worked fine
until I rebooted the machine.

    Suspecting the firewall, I removed it.
That not working, I removed the SuSE security packages, rebooted,
reinstalled them, rebooted, thinking the fresh config files might help.
No change.

    I matched all the setting to those of have another computer I have
(which is sending this email).  No help.

* * * * * * *

    KPPP dials and connects normally.  Konqueror browses the web
normally.  Kmail downloads POP mail normally.  But when trying to send
anything, I get:

    "Sending failed: Authorization failed, An error occurred during
authentication: SASL(-4): no mechanism available; No worthy mechs
found; authentication not supported."

     I configured the email on Mozilla and got the same message, so it
is beyond Kmail.  What could it be?  I hate to think of reinstalling
all of SuSE 9.3, home directory, etc.

Running: SuSE 9.3 on i686 machine
         KDE 3.4.0 level b
         Linux 2.6.11.4-21.17-default
         all available updates installed

The processes running (ps -e) while the error message is on the screen
are:

acpid, aio/0, artsd, bash, bash, cardmgr, cpuspeed, cron, cupsd,
dbus-daemon-1, dcopserver, events/0, gpg-agent, hald, hwscand, init,
kaccess, kacpid, kalarmd, kblockd/0, kded, kdeinit, kdesktop, kdm, kdm,
khelper, khpsbpkt, khubd, kicker, kio_file, kio_smtp, kjournald,
klauncher,  klogd,  kmail,  kmix,  knotes,  knotify, konqueror,  kppp,
kppp,  kseriod,  ksmserver,  ksoftirqd/0,  kswapd0,  kthread,  kwin,
kwrapper,  lockd,  login,  mingetty,  nfsd,  nscd,  pccardd,  pdflush,
portmap, powersaved,  pppd,  ps,  resmgrd,  rpciod/0,  rpc.mountd,
smpppd,  snmpd,  sshd,  startkde, syslog-ng,  udevd,  X

    Can somebody help me make peace with my wife?

Desperate
Jim Kuzdrall